SCIENCE • TECHNOLOGY • ENGINEERING • ART • MATH
What is STEAM?
- STEAM is about encouraging students to build knowledge about the world around them by observing, asking questions, and investigating.
- We are preparing children to live in an unknown future world. By the time our children enter the workforce, most of the jobs that will be available don’t even exist today. STEAM activities give children the skills to be the innovators, creators, and makers of our future world.
- “We can not always build the future for our youth but we can build our youth for the future.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
The STEAM Experience
- Instead of planning activities, we want to create an EXPIRIENCE that truly engages students and inspires them to be curious and ask questions.
- Instead of teachers doing all of the work to prepare lessons, introduce them to students, and ask them to follow directions, STEAM experiences teach students to explore with a variety of tools and materials. Teachers can than tailor the experience around the student’s questions. This allows students to investigate their question through hands-on exploration and play.
- Challenges and investigations need to be open-ended. This allows students to focus on the creative PROCESS of learning rather than the final PRODUCT.
- “Give a man a fish and he will be full for a day, but teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry again.”